Sports

Golfer John Daly withdraws from British Open after organizers denied his request to use a cart

John Daly has withdrawn from this month’s British Open three days after the R&A in Scotland, which organizes the event, declined the 53-year-old’s request to use a cart. Daly, who suffers from osteoarthritis in his right knee, regularly uses a cart on the senior tour and was granted a medical exemption by the PGA of America to use a cart at the PGA Championship in May. He will be replaced in the field at Northern Ireland’s Royal Portrush by American Kevin Streelman.

In a statement released Saturday, the R&A said it “carefully considered the request” from Daly, who withdrew from the British Open ahead of last year’s tournament due to “unbearable” pain.

The R&A believe that walking the course is an integral part of the Championship and is central to the tradition of links golf which is synonymous with The Open

“Having considered all of the relevant factors, the Championship Committee has decided to decline his request,” the statement read, in part. “The R&A believe that walking the course is an integral part of the Championship and is central to the tradition of links golf which is synonymous with The Open. We must also ensure that, as far as possible, the challenge is the same for all players in the field.”

Daly won the British Open in 1995 after a playoff with Costantino Rocca, which automatically qualifies him for the event every year through age 60. His last appearance at the major was in 2017, when he shot 12-over par in the first two rounds and missed the cut. Daly expressed disappointment with the R&A’s decision on Saturday but initially said he planed to “give it a shot” at this year’s tournament, which begins on July 18.

“Fingers crossed I can make it thru the pain,” Daly wrote on social media. “See you in Ireland.”


John Daly looks at his scorecard on the second hole during round one of the Insperity Invitational at The Woodlands Country Club on May 03, 2019 in The Woodlands, Texas.

Christian Petersen/Getty Images

The R&A announced Tuesday that Daly withdrew because of a medical condition. It’s unclear whether the effects of a spider bite Daly said he suffered last week factored into his decision. Daly tweeted on Sunday that a bite from a brown recluse led to a trip to the emergency room, where he was “treated for early sepsis.”

At the PGA Championship, Daly became the first player to use a cart in a major since Casey Martin in 2012. Martin, who has a circulatory disorder in his right leg, used a cart while competing in the U.S. Open in 1998 and 2012 after winning several legal battles.

Streelman, Daly’s replacement, last played in the British Open in 2015. The 40-year-old’s best finish was tied for 54th in 2014.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close